Monday, May 26, 2008

More gymnastics Nationals excitement





Well, aside from seeing one of my 2 favorite gymnasts break his hand, we had a great time at the VISA National Championships. Yes, Paul broke a bone in his hand. He should have surgery in a day or 2 and hopefully will be healthy in time for the Olympics in Beijing. It seems like a HUGE setback, but from what I've seen over the years, Paul is always at his SUPREME BEST when he's having to fight back from something, rather than just trying to protect a lead.


It was very exciting to watch Morgan Hamm win 3 medals in his first full competition since Athens.


I have been asked quite a lot how I got to be such a big Men's gymnastics and Hamm twins fan. I have been interested in gymnastics, particularly men's, all my life. My grandpa, John Campbell was a World-Class gymnast, and I remember him doing stunts on the high bar in the back yard even when he was an old man. My grandpa was a wonderful influence in my life, so the gymnastics is just a small way I carry along my memories of my grandpa.


I especially like Paul and Morgan Hamm, not only because they are amazing gymnasts, but because of their fine character. They tell a lot of family stories that I really enjoy and appreciate. In fact, because of their stories, I've developed great respect and admiration for their parents, Sandy and Cecily Hamm, and their family. I know nobody achieves great accomplishments in a vacuum, so I appreciate the guidance and support Sandy and Cecily provide for Paul and Morgan.


All that said, it was very exciting to me to get to meet Sandy and Cecily Hamm at the Nationals. They are so nice and genuine. It was great to get to chat with them. Sandy even scooped Brendan up in his lap for a picture. Morgan recently got engaged. We also got to meet his fiance, Megan. She was soooo sweet, and made a special point to chat with Brendan. I also enjoyed getting to visit with her after the competition, Saturday night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love you kids, give them Vista!